Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Kikuyu question


By KUMEKUCHA

The problem with blogging in Kenya today is that nobody will allow you to be horseless. So go ahead and brand me but the truth is that I do NOT support any of the two major coalitions. What tribe am I ? Honestly I have no tribe (the truth). My mum was Luhya, my dad was Kamba and I was born in Kisumu, my first born has Kikuyu blood flowing through her veins and can even speak the language fluently.

My personal political view on the presidency is that both Raila Odinga and Uhuru Kenyatta are NOT good for Kenya.

I don’t like Mary Wambui because I have a lot of privileged information on what she has been up to in the 10 years that her husband has been in power. BUT I will NOT support anybody who plays around with the will of the people and denies her, her nomination certificate to contestthe general elections. We MUST respect the will of the people and I don’t care who you are, the rule applies.

Clearly we have a major problem in our hands as we go into the generalelections in a few weeks. The people who suffered the most in the troubles of 2008 were our Kikuyu brothers and sisters indeed as you read this tens of thousands of them are still in camps, refugees in their own country. What can be sadder than that?

Still any criticism you level against Uhuru Kenyatta today is seen as an attack on the Kikuyu community. Why??? When Jomo Kenyatta grabbed large tracts of land what was written on the title deeds? The Kikuyu community?? Nope. The name on the them is Kenyatta. Why then is it seen as an attack on the Kikuyu when we talk about the evil Kenyatta committed when he was in office?

We often talk about Moi’s 24 year misrule. I don’t see my Kalenjin friends coming out red with rage and telling me that I am attacking the Kalenjin community? Why then is it different with the Kikuyu?

The answer is simple. President Kibaki’s presidential campaign in 2007 is the kind of campaign that must never be allowed in our shores ever again. And it seems that we are yet to shake off its’ effects. Public meetings addressed in Kiswahili but campaign managers going round later and speaking to the people in vernacular and telling them that it is a war against the other community. By the time we went into theelections it was a Kikuyu versus the rest of Kenya election. Why???? Why when the Kikuyu have suffered more than any other  community during Kibaki’s tenure? Why when we love our Kikuyu brothers and sisters and live peacefully on the ground with them and even marrying their beautiful lasses without any hassle? Why does it have to be different in politics?

In 1957 a Luo man called Tom Mboya beat a Kikuyu opponent called Munyua Waiyaki for the Nairobi area seat in the Legco. 95% of the voters were Kikuyus. Those days most locals were illiterate or with very poor educational backgrounds if any. Why then should we have a problem in 2013 when we have very educated Kenyans? Have we grown more stupid and tribal with more education?

We urgently need to find a way to ensure that any criticism against Uhuru Kenyatta is NOT seen as an attack on the Kikuyu community. He is an individual seeking high office and we need to interrogate him, we are not interrogating the community he happens to belong to.

Read the other Chris Kumekucha post today;
 

Will Sakaja’s inexperience cost TNA the presidency?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure where you're getting youг іnformаtion,
    but gοod topic. I neeԁs to sрend sοme time learning
    muсh morе or understanding more. Thankѕ
    for excellent іnfo I ωas lοoking for this info for mу misѕіоn.


    my web site; criar pagina no facebook brasil

    ReplyDelete